Records state that a credible football team for Winnfield was “definitely assured” in 1910 when Rawson Stovall, a former LSU grid star, was employed to coach the Winnfield 11. Games with Louisiana College and Alexandria were promptly scheduled. Plans for the first football squad were made the year before, as this group of young players poses at the front door of the old high school. The enrollment at Winnfield was 437. (Courtesy Greggory Davies.)

Before his assassination in 1935, Huey Long was taking his campaign to make “Every Man a King” to the people in his bid for the presidency against incumbent Franklin Roosevelt. In a time before electronic media coverage, campaigning was an up-front ad personal process, as candidates went around stumping, speaking out to share their philosophies and to woo the public vote (Courtesy Greggory Davies.)

Winn has traditionally held its parish fair the last week of September and the first of October. The rodeo has been a traditional part of the fair. Riding clubs across the parish were a great part of the recreation for old and young alike, since most owned horses. The grand entry of the rodeo was special, as many varied clubs converged on the parish arena, carrying their flags and banners with pride. Riding, roping, and other competitions would then follow. (Courtesy Winn Parish 4-H.)

These surviving confederate veterans were photographed years after the end of the Civil War. Included in this image are, from the left to right, (first row) William Murphy, Robert Jones, Mike Long, Joseph Smith, A.R. Butler, John Dickerson, William Shumake, Morris Bernstein, Phillip Bernstein, Joseph Plunkett, and J. Matt. McCain; (second row) John G. Teagle, George Story, Dr. Spence Smith, George Kelly, Jesse Womack, Will Strong, David Dunn, and James Long. The Civil War took its toll on the lives of brave young men from Winn Parish and across the South and left the country in a demoralized state. But Appomattox did not bring an end to Winn’s woes. If the inequities of Reconstruction were not bad enough, the scourge of the West-Kimbrell Clan, which preyed on westbound travelers made life perilous. A third indignity came in 1868, when one-third of Winn’s acreage was taken in the creation of Grant Parish in a move to reward Union loyalists. (Courtesy Greggory Davies.)

It took two years to construct the “old” courthouse on the square, and it was the centerpiece of downtown Winnfield. It served the community from 1922 for nearly four decades before it was torn down and replaced by the current building, which opened 1962. Standing in front of the courthouse is the honor roll for Winn veterans. The bandstand and Confederate Memorial stood on the Abel Street side. (Courtesy Greggory Davies.)

Before chain stores, malls, and online Internet purchasing, downtown was a thriving business area in Winnfield and in cities and towns across the country. This 1940’s view looking up Main Street includes, on the left side of the street, Cora Sower’s Dress Shop, U.B. Carpenter’s, City Barbershop, Bank of Winnfield, and the courthouse. On the right side, the familiar J.W. Perdue Jeweler watch is a block farther east than it is today. Next door is Western Auto, then Max Theime Chevrolet. (Courtesy Phyllis Holmes.)

Rail lines opened Winn to logging, and mills sprang up as a result. Five railroads, with many spurs running to the mills, served the parish. Germain & Boyd Lumber Company in Atlanta, Louisiana, was the largest of them all. Mills thrived as long as the timber supply in their immediate area held out. Most mills, including Germain & Boyd, disappeared when the supply was depleted. (Courtesy Greggory Davies.)

Four different First Methodist Church sanctuaries have stood on the same one-acre lot on Main Street that was donated by Daniel Kelly in 1870. It has been known by three different names through the years – Methodist Episcopal Church South, First Methodist, and First United Methodist. The congregation met in homes and stores until the first church was erected. That first building served as a place of worship for both Methodists and Baptists. (Courtesy Greggory Davies.)

Winnfield was the showplace of a large number of early grand homes, such as this Victorian showpiece in Laurel Heights, photographed in the late 1880’s. The Wallace Home served as a local boardinghouse, a practice common in that era. Note the columns and wide, banistered porches and the large tank to collect rainwater from the roof for the household use. (Courtesy Greggory Davies.)

The first brick courthouse for Winn Parish was built in 1892 on the site of the present courthouse. The two-story frame courthouse previously on the site, along with all its records, had been destroyed by fire in 1886. This historic brick structure suffered the same fate in 1917, but this time, most of the public records were saved. Several other frame courthouses at other sites predated these. (Courtesy Greggory Davies.)

The cornerstone for the first brick sanctuary of First Baptist Church was laid on April 25, 1920, and work continued through 1925, when the Louisiana Baptist Convention met there. Although work was not complete, the first sermon was delivered in the auditorium by Rev. L.D. Posey on December 3, 1921. The structure originally included the two towers flanking the cornice. The four pillars were added in a renovation. The towers and the fourth floor have since been removed, but the pillars and cornice remain. (Courtesy Greggory Davies.)

Winnfield has a proud football history, though teams found the going tough at the outset. Known as the Crimson Tigers for years, the high school’s mascot lost its “crimson” description sometime during the war years, and they have been known simply as the Tigers ever since. This photograph shows an early team ready for competition. Notice the leather helmets without faceguards. (Courtesy Greggory Davies.)

In the late 1930’s the faithful met in homes as efforts were made to bring an Episcopal mission to Winnfield. John and Phyllis Peters donated a lot on Pecan and North Boundary Streets, and the diocese secured an abandoned frame church from a Baton Roge plantation. The building was moved piece by piece for reassembly on the lot. Worship at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church continues to this day. (Courtesy Greggory Davies.)

Emergency Numbers

Sheriff's Office
(318) 628-4611
City Police
(318) 628-3511
Fire District #3
(318) 628-1230
City Fire
(318) 628-3923